On March 31, 1952, Dick Hauck sent a love letter to his future wife, Arlene. The couple had written back and forth on a nearly daily basis while Dick was serving in the U.S. Army. But this letter, in which Dick formally proposed marriage to Arlene, never reached its final destination until last week.
"I had a box of letters from him," Arlene Hauck tells.
Contract workers found Dick's letter while they were performing renovations in Arlene's childhood home. They gave the letter to the couple, who are both still alive and married to each other, nearly 60 years after Dick first proposed.
"The whole thing brings back memories," Dick told KSDK, while fighting back tears. He was just 21-years-old at the time he wrote the letter, in which he described the wedding ring he had purchased for Arlene. She wears the ring to this day.
"I got your ring today, I sure hope you will like it," the letter reads. "I wish I could have gotten it long ago darling."
A few weeks after the letter was sent, Dick returned from the Army and delivered the engagement ring to Arlene in person. They were married that June.Isn't that absolutely precious?!?! Ahh... so cute! Also, with Anne of Green Gables, how Gilbert adores Anne from afar the whole time?! Makes my heart melt! :) But, I would never be mean like her, I'd hope! Maybe there is a guy out there who has adored me from afar for a long time..? I'd be flattered and would think it's the best thing ever. :D If only I could live in my daydream world. I'm just waiting for the moment I realize a guy is the one for me and then I won't have to have my daydream world! Like Dr. Seuss said, "When you're so in love that you don't want to sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." I'm in love with the idea of being lovestruck. Too bad I don't know what that is! I can wait. Enough of this! I'll probably be 37 by the time I get married. I sure hope not. That would be the worst thing ever. Aahhhh I don't even want to think of that!!
No comments:
Post a Comment